Saturday, August 12, 2006

Day 15, Saturday- A bit behind schedule

I had just another busy day of taking care of the little things. Down in the basement, I fixed the sump pump, lighting, and doorbell. One the main floor, I repaired a ton of plaster, and patched tons of holes, both large and small.

I even swung a sledgehammer. In the house. Beats the hell out of running with scissors. So, while relieving a lot of pent-up aggression, I also demolished the old woodstove’s hearth.

As a side note, I’ve noticed that I spend more time looking for tools than using them. Sad, but true.

I've also started bring Chemo-Clementine with me, and while she has figured out the house's layout, she is still a bit skittish here.

So I worked throughout the day, trying to get back on my own self-imposed schedule. I stayed at home (skipping the Astoria Regatta) and worked away. As I sat there caulking baseboards, I realized something.

I really miss my dad. This is the first house I’ve done where he hasn’t been there. I’d like to think that I’d be farther along on this whole project, but realistically, I’d be in the same spot no matter what. You can’t control the weather, you can’t force plaster to dry faster, and you can’t see through walls without very expensive equipment.

When dad and I work together, however, the work goes a bit faster, the quality is a little better, and you don’t seem to loose as many tools. Oh well, 600 miles is a long way to come for a weekend of work, and I’m doing well enough on my own.

Of course, I had a really good teacher.

Total costs: $1,363

2 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I wish I could help you more. I would, except the baby would chew on the lead paint chips while I did.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Undercover Mother said...

This is downright warm and fuzzy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home