Saturday, August 05, 2006

Day 7, Friday- “Replete with Deferred Maintenance”

The family and I decided to make the big trip down to Portland to visit the Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

We wanted to get started early, but, because of the ongoing drama with the mortgage firm, I had to call the mortgage broker and wait for her to return my call. All this to let them all know that the windows (on the MUD PORCH) had been replaced.

The broker called and said everything was just great, but please hold on for a bit before leaving town. Shortly thereafter, the appraiser called to set up the appointment to see the windows. I asked if he really needed me to be there to see the windows. The lady had to call back. I’m always happy to be left at the mercy of the incredibly decisive.

We got started at noon.

We ran through the church’s janitor’s rummage sale. (Say that twice fast.) Nice enough guy, but this guy is a pack rat. Grabbed some stuff (cheap!) and headed down the road.

Got a few doors, and quite a lot of tile, for a very good price at the ReStore, and headed north on the I-5 parking lot.

That’s when the mortgage broker called back.

“Everything is taken care of, no need to worry about the windows anymore.”

“Great, do I need to do anything else?” I asked.

“You have quite enough to do,” she answered with a hint of a grin in her voice. “But that’s what happens when you buy a house that has some deferred maintenance.”

We picked up additional supplies from Home Depot and the Evil Empire (Wal-Mart). By the time we were headed back it was 11:00 pm and the budget was used up. With 400+ Square feet of tile, plus a couple hundred pounds of paint, thin set, morter, a couple of solid wood doors strapped to the roof, and three little kids, the van was sitting like a low-rider.

Some deferred maintenance. Yeah, tell that to my wallet. Or my back.

Total costs: $1,017

1 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Undercover Mother said...

We should have brought Stevie along!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home