Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Day 2, Sunday- Demolition, and bad ideas.

Getting started early is always nice, but the fresh air and the new day tend to screw with your head. Things you never take on due to things like “common sense” are suddenly really good ideas.

Six in the morning is an awful lot like a six pack of beer.

First thing in the morning, I spotted a little bit of paint peeling in the living room. So, instead of doing the rational, reasonable, I’ve only got 31 days to go thing- I went after it with a putty knife.

Guess what? Once you start- the paint just keeps right on flaking off. Scraping paint is fun and easy! Ok, not really. The living room now looks like a scene from a movie shot in Bosnia.

So I have several randomly shaped stripped walls. Big bare patches in fields of old paint. I’ve got a great spot that looks like Asia. Yet I kept scraping. Maybe, in the back of my mind, I was hoping to find a Virgin Mary.

Want to know what is worse than six in the morning? Nine at night. Nine is like a case of beer.

Saw some old trim boards on the wall in the dining room that needed a lot of work. I thought I was taking the easy way out. I thought that popping a couple of boards off of the walls would save hours of labor in the future.

I was wrong.

Total costs: $310

2 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Actually, don't you think it kind of looks like the contiguous United States???

Hey, at least we got to see how the house was constructed under those boards. Plus, Mom says they used to hide money in the walls, so at least we know it's not there...

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Tom said...

Oh no, there's money in the walls.

Ours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home