Saturday, September 09, 2006

Past Due, Day 8, Thursday- The grump

The wife and kids picked me up after work- my work clothes were in the car and I needed to get to work at the house.

“We need to stop off at City Lumber, I need a couple things,” I said.

“We’re late for tap class,” was her reply, “we have to go now!”

So we went. The class was supposed to be from 5:00 to 5:30. “No problem, the hardware store is open until 6:00,” I said, “I’ll wait in the car with the sleeping boy.”

Now, I thought that we were going to drop off the child and I would be whisked away to get to work, then get dinner brought to me after the class. Never works out that way.

The class started late, and finished up at 6:00. The hardware store was closed. The kids were fighting over a feather boa. I still wasn’t working on the house.

“Just take me to the house,” I said, “I need to get to work.”

She dropped me off and sped away.

I had a dinner of cold hot dogs, peanut butter, and Gatorade, then went to work, cutting tiny little slivers of tile that no one will ever notice, but would if they were missing. I finished the bathroom floor, after digging through the trash pile, with exactly three blue diamonds to spare.
I was cleaning up, when at 11:30, she came to the door in her pajamas. “Steelers won! Are you ready to go?”

“Yeah, hey, I finished the tile work.”

“Looks good. The kids are in the car. Let’s go.”

I sensed that she was a bit miffed. “Something wrong?”

“You were a jerk earlier,” was her reply.

“Oh, so you watched the Steeler's game?”

“Yes. We also had dinner. kids are in the car. Let’s go.”

At this point, I did what anyone with an ounce of self preservation would do. I apologized.

So, yes. I admit it. I’m tired, behind schedule, and have been living off of condiments for the better part of five weeks. I might be a little testy. I may even be grumpy.

Just please cut me some slack.

Total costs: $2,465

2 Comments:

At 1:17 AM, Blogger Undercover Mother said...

You get slack until you start yelling at my little girls. You may be my babydaddy but you have to understand how important it is to possess the feather boa.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Miss Sassy said...

Its cute to watch you guys fight online.
Lets me know the smiles of today might give way to THIS, someday, if I'm really lucky.
Can't wait =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home