Saturday, November 18, 2006

Still Irritable

Three days with a damn headache. At least it moves around. Today, it was the sides of my head, yesterday the front of my head that wanted to pop off, before that… well who cares. My ears are ringing and it is hard to concentrate for long.

It is sinus related, so I know there isn’t a lot to do other than drug up OTC style. Unfortunately, the stuff that works for me requires a prescription here in Oregon.

In case you haven’t heard, we have a plethora of methamphetamine-addled pricks running amok across the state. Our fearless, ignorant legislators- in an effort to look like they’re doing something to fight the problem- made certain over-the-counter medications illegal without a prescription.

This will work because, as you know, meth addicts won’t drive to Longview. Thus, without a major ingredient, all the dope cooks will stop making drugs and magically become law-abiding citizens who will happily work for minimum wage at some shit-hole diner.

So, to get the drugs that work, I have to go to the doctor. The insurance where I work is expensive, limited, and generally sucks, so to go I have to spend around $100. For a sinus headache. I just can not justify it.

Which brings me to this:

I typically go to the doctor twice a year- once for a checkup / physical, and once for a cold or the flu. I am considered by my doctor to be in good health.

So why do I pay the same premium as the stoke victim who still eats at McDonald’s four times a week? Or the obese person with diabetes?

My car insurance rate is based on my history and habits- why not my health insurance? I get a discount for taking defensive driving classes- why not a discount for going to the gym?

The standard argument against this idea is the whole “well I’d die if I don’t get this care / medicine / procedure” argument. I’m sorry if you need expensive medicine to live. That is not, however, my problem.

If you live in the forest, your homeowner's insurance costs more. If you have lots of tickets, your automobile insurance rates are high. If you don't take care of yourself, your health insurance should cost more.

If we made everyone pay car insurance based on the same rules as health insurance, there would be riots.

Yeah, but my head hurts and I’m grumpy.

1 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Or, being tagged might make you feel better. On my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home