Saturday, November 25, 2006

Progress

I woke up Saturday determined to get some projects finished.

First up was the new programmable digital thermostat. I tore into the packaging, ripped the old unit off the wall and was finished in half an hour- and this was including the time required to make a pot of coffee.


Funny thing, but this new unit seems to work a whole lot better than the old mercury thermostat we had up before. The furnace doesn’t turn off and on so much, and the house seems warmer.

Emboldened by my success, I moved on to the dining room, where I hung up the new light fixture and installed a nifty dimmer switch. While I was there, I put a new three-way switch in for the upstairs light.


At this point, I took a break for lunch and took a quick nap. I woke up, then went outside and cleaned and repaired the gutters.

Then I went about installing the new fence diving the yard into child and dog zones. I purchase a couple of the ready-built 6 foot long sections of fence and a few posts.

I set the first post, then carefully measured 62 inches and set the second.

Yeah, six foot fence sections. There are 72 inches in six feet, not 60. So I’m a dumb shit.

Pulled the post, dug a new hole, and set the post at 72 inches. Except I needed to set it at 74 because the post is a 4 x 4 and I’m a dumb shit.

Pulled the post, dug a new hole, and set the post at 74 inches.


So much for things going easy...

9 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, so when you're done... you selling and getting out of dodge? Or are you going to come work on my house? :)

I just got the quote for the house to get painted in the Spring... they want my first born! Since I only have one and you have three, I promised them Princess. Hope that's ok. :)

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Any help you need, just ask.

I got the same kind of quotes, then I figured something out- they thought I had moeny.

I dressed like a poor slob and the next two quotes were way lower, but still too high ($3,000).

I'll take a couple of days off and rent the equipment.

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of getting out of dodge - how many square feet is the Craftsman"? Are you going to be putting in a new bath? The dimmer switches, thermostat etc are not as exciting as a new wood floor however. Can't you do something else big like that again and show us the shiney new photos on your site? How about the "upstairs" adults only lair? Is it getting any attention lately? Close to done?

And to get the best quote, you should have worn what you did on Halloween 2005 - oh, wait, they might have just assumed you were a roofer looking for work.

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My apologies to any roofers who may have been offended after reading my earlier comment. I could have substituted any number of vocations like: drywaller, gillnetter, bar-stool cozy, inmate worker, or I.T. geek.

There, now I have royally pissed off everyone I know.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger tony and bette said...

that is a beautiful light fixture you guys put up, it looks great!!!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

At least you discovered your errors. Had your wife discovered them you would have been reminded of it for years to come. I usually wait for my wife to go away before doing anything. This way I can cover any mistakes before she returns.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Piffle, Guy.

I'm the stupid spouse!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Miss Sassy said...

Its the real man's gym, the backyard. Just think of all the saps who pay to press iron bars when they could pay for a fence and win brownie points with the kids, dogs, and spouse while wrecking their back and sweating like a hog!! =)

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy I can see that you were not listening when I was trying to teach you constuction math. I guess I was just spinning my wheels when noboby was home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home