Saturday, July 07, 2007

Attic Archeology

Got to work on the attic today- mostly demolition work.


I tore the boards off the walls to reveal:



Me booty!

No, the stuff in front of her. We found:


  • An Oregonian from November 20, 1942 with news of the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal- carefully censored by the War Department, details on the mass poisoning at the state hospital in Salem, as well as a several old advertisements- everything from Fred Meyer and Meier and Frank to War Bonds, rationing news, and Recruitment.
  • The “Golden West Coffee” cans
  • A Union Club whiskey bottle.
  • A can for Snowflake shortening.
  • A can of “Fire Weed” honey produced by C. W. Pilkenton of Jewell, Oregon
  • A porcelain over tin wash basin
  • A Portland Telegram from June 14, 1919 featuring news of Capt. Alcock and Lieutenant Brown’s attempt to cross the Atlantic, a notice that “War Will Be Resumed Next Week if Huns Balk,” and a full-page Mutt and Jeff comic (“Jeff’s Theory Was All Right”
  • A June, 1919 copy of the Astoria Catholic Monthly.

Time to fire up the ol' eBay account.

9 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Very cool! There is one item I'd be interested in buying.

I always bury stuff in my walls when ever I do a renovation, cans, newspapers, messages, house plans drawings and photos.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Undercover Mother said...

eBay? Boy, are you in trouble.

This PROVES that you don't read my blog.

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Guy- I think I might know which item you are after. Drop me a line and I'll get it to you.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Auntie said...

Yeah Tom, Guy most definitely needs that Astoria Catholic Weekly publication!!

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Jess B said...

And to think, when we built our house all we left in the walls were beer cans.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Miss Sassy said...

no termites? no moths?
was that the insulation, or were they just hoping someone would get to fight over "sellable" vs "must have history" someday??

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

You don't have your email address listed, but if it's OK with the Mrs and still available email me at bbpress@intergate.com

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Sweeti said...

Hi I found you by way of Elleda, I envy you redoing an old house in that area. Astoria is one of our favorite places on the coast because of the historical value. We toured the old blacksmith shop owned by the Sisters til they died and the my hubby was completely at awe over that. He'd move there if he could.
How fun it must be to find these treasures in you own home.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Cuz said...

Do you still have those item you found in your attic wall? I come from a line of Pilkentons from North Carolina who moved to Virginia and then to Washington and Oregon. So, I'm wondering about the history of your home. Please e-mail me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home